I've never been much of one for baby steps. At least not that I recall. Since I can remember, I've tended to either go all out or not go at all. What's the aphorism? Go big or go home (with apologies to Matthew)? Yeah, that's about right. Perhaps a single example by way of illustration. I needed motivation to get fit during the time when I was traveling nearly every week. Answer? Run a marathon. Not a 5K, a 10K, or even a half-marathon. Nope. 26.2. See what I mean?
So, on the distant horizon lurk several goals. Big, exciting, complicated, scary, exhilarating, lifetime-type goals. And wouldn't you know -- these goals are unattainable without "baby" steps. To jump in and try to do everything all at once would be the very definition of folly. So, going slow, taking some time, trying patience, practicing baby steps will have to suffice.
And, as running is metaphor, we'll take this journey -- to retirement, fulfillment, integrity -- as marathon training and marathons must be taken: one step at a time. In the coming weeks/years, we'll lay in the foundation. Build the "miles." Perhaps overlay some speed and tempo work. And of course track our progress faithfully. And when we get to the start line, hopefully with crowds poised to cheer us on, we'll be ready, fit and prepared to stride confidently forward.
In the coming weeks/months, I'll prepare for the races before me. And my training for the ING marathon here in Atlanta will provide metaphor for the larger race before me. Taking baby steps, I might just make it. Taking baby steps with the love and support of family and friends, living fully in and through community, I cannot fail.
Feed my sheep.
Monday, November 19, 2007
Baby Steps
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment