
It's been awhile. Yesterday I wrote that it had been awhile since I'd written. Today, I'm referring to running double digit miles. Today's run was definitely not what I'd hoped for considering the training I'd put in the past couple of weeks. There had been occasional challenging runs, but nothing prepared me for the difficulty of today's run.
I haven't run double digits since before my kidney stone procedures and today it showed. We set out in warm, humid conditions and began working the hills on Atlanta's westside. A little over two miles in, Laura said she was hurting and asked if I wanted to keep on. I did and began to slog off towards W. Wesley. My pace was slow but relatively comfortable as I hit W. Wesley and turned toward Peachtree. It was at that point that I began to feel the effort (and the heat of the day). By cardiac hill on Peachtree, I had difficulty controlling my breathing and knew that I was going to be toast on the way back in.
Laura rejoined me on Collier (she'd decided to get her miles in via a different route), and we turned to home. By the time we got to the freeway on Howell Mill, all I could think about was how much work I've got ahead of me. The hills aren't going anywhere, and we're just getting started with the heat. Today, the combination kicked my butt and then, upon determining that wasn't sufficient, kneed me in the groin. Yeah, it was that painful.
But I pushed on and ran one of my fastest miles as we turned for home. There are days like this with training. It could have been a lack of fuel. It could be that I ran out of salt and fluid at about seven miles. It could just have been one of those days. What I know is there will be better days ahead and when the rough days come I'll be pushing through.
What do you do when the training is especially difficult?
2 comments:
Well, God knows we've both been there before. One word. Maui.
I posted this on a friend's blog and I think it's fitting for your question.
No matter what you're facing, when it feels like a challenge it can be overwhelmingly scary and exhilarating all in one.
I've stared mile 80 in the face on a recent century ride and wanted to cry and scream and throw my bike off a cliff. But I got there..to 107. I spent 7.5 hours on the bike and I hit a couple low valleys. I STILL haven't written that ride report..as I stare a potential 10 hour ride in the face this weekend. Yah. It just might take me that long.
But you know what? That feeling of accomplishment? No one can ever take that away. And that's pretty badass.
You'll have bad days in training and it'll feel like you're climbing a mountain. But on the other side of the mountain, there's a nice downhill and I know you'll get there...and get a chance to enjoy the ride :)
@Sarah - I hear you. And my double-digit miles run is nothing compared to the prep you're doing. What you capture especially compellingly for me is the fear AND excitement we feel when we push ourselves to and past what we feel we can do.
Oh, and, yeah. Even with the exhilaration of completing Maui, it still just kinda sucked.... ;)
Post a Comment